Saturday, September 11, 2010

July - The Whirlwind Begins

July 27, 2010 - I have an appointment with a rheumatologist today.  First time patients are seen between 4am and 7 am in the morning and the appointment can last up to three hours.  I kid you not on this one.  I had a 5 am and I didn't get out of that office until 7:45 am.  It was wild but very informative.  Basically, if you have something that is just weird going on with you ... go to a rheumatologist.  They deal mostly with arthritis but they are also like the Dr. House's of the medical community.  I think he ran just about every type of blood test available.  It took 14 vials of blood and a urine sample to escape the clutches of that office!!!

July 29, 2010 - Today was my first appointment with my hematologist/oncologist Dr. Barve.  First impression was that she definitely was ready to do battle, a real firecracker of a doctor.  Just what I need going forward with this illness.  Even though at this point I still don't know what I have and what is causing the Amyloids.  We start right out of the gate.  She tells me what she thinks I have, Multiple Myeloma with Amyloidosis.  She then tells me how she's going to find it and schedules the tests.  So within one appointment I'm scheduled for a 24 hour urine test, a bone marrow biopsy, bone survey and blood tests.

She also plans ahead since we talk about possibly going to the Mayo Clinic.  I ask about my survivability chances and she bluntly tells me that I'm not ready for that conversation yet.  That was the punch to the gut today .... how the hell do you react to that news?  She mentions that with this type of cancer it is usually very advanced by the time it is diagnosed because the symptoms literally sneak up on you.  Well my symptoms ambushed me!!!

July 30, 2010 - The bone marrow biopsy.  I had the opportunity to be unconscious for this procedure but this would have required waiting several days.  At this point I'm in full blown let's get it done mode.  So into the office for a local and punch it through ... literally.  I will try and describe this as best I can but let's just say the next time I do this I will be unconscious.  First they numb up the area above your pelvic iliac crest with lidocaine.  After you are sufficiently numbed, they make an incision so the tool can be inserted to the bone.  The tool is a hollow tube with a handle and another solid auger with a handle to make the hole in the bone.  It's all hand done so at least it is quiet while they are drilling.  Once the hole is made a big syringe is inserted and a portion of the liquid blood is removed from the marrow space.  During the suction, it felt like blood was being drawn all the way down my left leg.  Then came the marrow core sample.  A needle is inserted all the way to the front of the bone and a core sample drawn.  I thought the needle came out the front of my pelvis.  Needless to say that this was one of the most uncomfortable things I've experienced in my lifetime.  I was told this would feel like a tooth being removed but hell if that is the case I'd rather have my teeth knocked out by Mike Tyson!

After the procedure, we had a game plan written up for additional testing as well as an abdominal ultrasound and bone survey scheduled.  Things are moving fast, it's hard to keep up and lots of information is being thrown at me now.  But hey, hopefully I'll have an answer soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment